Monday, November 2, 2015

Paw Patrol Parable



This morning on the way to church my sons were arguing over a weighty matter in the backseat of the car.  Connor, 3, asserted that Marshall on Paw Patrol is a hero.  Bennett, 5, was just as adamant that he was a SUPER hero.  Back and forth they debated – hero, no, SUPER hero.  Voices were raised.  There was a bit of a scuffle.  Feelings were hurt.  Real tears were shed.  Left unresolved was the matter of whether Marshall is a hero or SUPER hero.

While Erin consoled our boys and I drove, I thought about how perhaps, in some ways, our theological differences and arguments are, in the eyes of God, unimportant matters and cause us to risk even more important things such as family relationships.  As Elder Uchdorf taught us in the most recent conference, perhaps we need to simplify our discipleship.

This week our family visited the church where my immigrant ancestor was christened in 1608 about 25 years before he took a great risk and boarded a ship bound for Massachusetts and established the family in what would become America.  His fourth great grandson and my third great grandfather would join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  In this little Anglican church in a small English village, I read the inscription:

As a place for quiet thought and prayer,
A place set aside for peacefulness and holiness of spirit,
A place in which to focus our prayers for an often troubled and over busy world. 

As I thought about my ancestors and the devoted saints who sat in those pews over the centuries, I recognize that they undoubtedly felt the spirit of God in the same ways I feel the spirit in our church.  This was their temple and the fullest measure of their devotion.  His devotion and worship, despite different theological affiliation, was no less meaningful than mine.


As I think about my own ancestors immigration as well as the statement we just read from the First Presidency urging us to do what we can to help the current plight of refugees and immigrants, I am so grateful for the blessings I have.  Grateful I know that I’m going to be able to feed my children tomorrow.  Grateful I have shelter.   I’m thankful my basic needs are met which gives me opportunities to focus on my spirituality.

Perhaps I even feel a bit guilty that I have hours to spend wondering if Jesus Christ is my hero or my SUPER hero.  While there are many things I do not know, I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the opportunities it gives me to serve others and build a better future for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment